Saturday, August 16, 2008

Past the Point of No Return

Finally, after a very long wait of 6 weeks, some of the components that I've ordered finally began arriving this week. This inspired me to actually begin work on the car.

I removed the gas tank and filler pipe with its associated venting and tubing. Also, after a little bracket cutting I was able to remove the entire exhaust system in one piece. All of these items will eventually be transferred to my 1970 Duster project (to be started sometime later this century).



Next, and most painful, was cutting out the trunk floor to prepare for installation of some of the batteries. I will be building a rack to hold 12 of the 26 "traction" batteries between the rear frame rails. Eight of these batteries will be installed flush with the floor to save trunk space. This will allow enough room for a small charge-supplementing generator that I may install later.

I also plan to use this opportunity to finish my paint job in and around the trunk. This may delay the completion of this project, but it desperately needs to be done and I just can't leave it looking like it does now.

No comments: