Thursday, February 26, 2009

SUCCESS!

The new motor controller is installed and the road test has been successful!

I first put the car on jack stands and did extensive "driveway" testing. I ran through all of the gears numerous times, including reverse. I took it up to 55 mph on the speedometer and held it there for a while. I did numerous shut-downs and component inspections.

I was satisfied with the results so I took the car out on the street. I didn't push it too hard but I put on about a mile going to the corner and back several times, as I didn't want to have to push it too far if it failed again. On the final run, I quickly went through all the gears and got it up to 28mph before letting off.

Not wanting to spoil this long-awaited successful moment, I decided to call it a day at this point and parked the car. I then did a final check for excessive heat on the components and connections, which all looked good.

If you've read the posts leading up to this one, you have a sense of how much this success means to me at this point. Rather than chance ruining the moment, when I was finished checking everything I PUSHED the car the final 10 feet into the shop. LOL

More rigorous testing will follow. However, the weather is turning colder again and I have to return to work tomorrow, so I may savor this success for a week or so before I do any more driving :)

11 comments:

Franklin G. said...

Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm very excited to see it running!

Daniel Busby said...

Glad to hear that you've made progress! Keep us posted. I really want to see this car successfully on the road.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I'm glad to see you finally managed to overcome all the component issues and get it running. Can't wait to see more pics and hopefully some video.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bruce! That's great news. I can't wait to read more about your shake down cruises, and continued use of the vehicle.

DynoDave

Pablo said...

Fantastic!

I've been following your progress for a while and didn't think you were going to make it.

Bravo.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Way cool, Bruce! Been following you for months. Glad you were able to work through all the issues and got it on the street at last. How sweet it is!Congraulations!

Inspyre said...

Oh man, you must just be buzzin'!!!

I think I just donned a "Tesla grin!"

KUDOS!


(yes Pixel... VIDEO BRUCIE, VIDEO!!!!)

Bruce said...

Thanks everyone! The weather and my work schedule will allow my next test drive tomorrow (Tuesday Mar 3). I'm planning on getting some video of that.

Anonymous said...

That is good news :-)