Friday, July 4, 2008

Why An Electric Car? (Part 1 - State Of Mind)



Like almost everyone else, I am TOTALLY fed up with rising gas prices. I do not like the helpless feeling of being at the mercy of whatever today's price is. I do not like having the feeling of pressure upon my lifestyle that high gas prices imposes. I don't like knowing that it will cost me $2 in gas to drive to Home Depot to get a $1 part that I need for a home project.

What irks me the most is that there is no "real" reason for gas prices to be so high. It is simply because we will pay whatever we have to, and those that "create" the cost of gasoline know it and take full advantage of that fact. We the public are being squeezed for every cent we can spend to feed our addiction to gasoline. And for what? For greed and nefarious purposes - no other reasons. The greed and nefariousness is far and wide. It's not just the oil companies, not just the "Arabs", not just the futures traders, but our elected government as well. There is no incentive whatsoever for prices to come down and lessen the drain of cash from our pockets - for we will pay whatever we have to in order to feed our addiction.

However, I really don't feel any kind of satisfaction to just whine about this problem and remain feeling helpless. I want to DO something to make things better for myself. How can I stop giving away my hard earned money to faceless entities I have come to despise? What can I do as just one person?

Oh, I guess I could try to jump on the out-of-control train and buy oil stocks or trade crude futures. I do have some experience with stocks and futures. My experience is that the "little guy" still looses. Somehow, the brokers make money, the big traders make money, the business that cater to traders make money - I LOSE money. I give all my money to those people. I also have the knack of picking the exact top of the market to buy, and the exact bottom to sell. In fact, the SINGLE best hope for gasoline prices to retreat is for me to become involved in trading them. No, that's out.

I feel that the best way for me to alleviate this problem in the long-term is for me to somehow deal with my dependence on this drug gasoline. I am sick of my money going to people and causes that I despise.

No comments: