Monday, July 7, 2008

Why An Electric Duster?


Having now decided upon building an electric car, I researched the current technology to determine what was available and what to expect from the build. This opened the door to a wide range of possibilities. I could certainly build a vehicle from the ground up but I had to closely examine my purpose, desires and needs for building an electric car.

It quickly became evident that converting an existing vehicle was the only viable option for me. By doing this, I could fairly quickly produce a form of transportation that would satisfy a large percentage of my transportation needs, AND it would have the ability to actually pay for itself if I was able to drive it enough.

I find it amazing that after all of the research I had done, I stumbled upon a working solution that was right in front of me. Vehicle conversions were actually already being done successfully by thousands of people around the world. Why was I, a car guy and former electrician, not already familiar with this movement? Complacency I guess. I really should have been on this years ago.

My choice to convert the Duster was a natural one. I grew up when American Muscle cars ruled the road and we cruised around on 25 cent gasoline. My first car was a 340 Duster in 1970 and most of my friends drove Plymouths and Dodges. Ever since those days, I have had a love for 60s and early 70s Mopars. In 2003 I purchased a 1968 Dodge Dart, and thus began a passion for restoring, modifying and customizing my favorite old cars. Over the course of five years, one old Mopar grew into six, and a little garage workspace grew into a 1200 square foot shop with a lift.

I had just (mostly) completed my resto-modification of the '71 Duster and was beginning to regularly drive it around town when I had the "electric car epiphany". Driving the Duster is an incredible experience. It draws attention wherever I go . I guess I like attention! The Duster is a rolling work of American art and inspires gawks and stories from people I would never have interacted with otherwise. Converting this car to electric will be the ultimate modification. It will retain it looks and connection to the past, but will also exhibit something of future technology. I expect that the gawks and stories will turn into open jaws when I pop the hood. Hopefully it will inspire others, and make them want "un-petroleum" power as well. Ohhhh, a new name to consider: The "Non-Petrol Plymouth".

No comments: