Monday, November 24, 2008

Update on Failed Controller Problem

I am faced with a few choices to get the Duster back on the road.
  1. Stick with LogiSystems and hope they can send me a working controller
  2. Purchase a Kelly controller rated for 156 volts
  3. Remove 2 batteries and purchase the industry standard Curtis 144 volt controller
Choices #2 and #3 would cost me over $1500. Choice #1 may never occur.

I called LogiSystems Controllers this morning. I was told that they have a redesigned board that they are currently testing. If testing is successful, they will have more of the boards produced and repairs to defective controllers will be their first priority. Repairs will consist of putting entirely new components into the existing case and should take 2 weeks.

I did hear from another source that LogiSystems has been trying to solve controller "issues" for over a year. Still, because of the amount of money involved, at this moment I am inclined to wait at least until I find out how the testing goes at Logisystems before spending another chunk of cash.

I guess I can wait a few weeks. There is no real reason I need the car on the road at this time. Winter is almost upon us so I would not likely be driving it too much. In addition, I still have other work to do on the car to complete the conversion.

7 comments:

Daniel Busby said...

Well, those definitely look like tough choices. I might wait a bit for LogiSystems to repair your controller. It's tough to wait, but at least it's a cheap wait. Just make sure to keep your batteries topped off. They'll keep better fully charged.

I looked into the policies, and it seems that I am only covered by the LogiSystems' warranty. So, I might as well test the controller when I'm ready. In the worst situation (my controller blows up like yours) I'll still have lots to do to get the car ready anyway. (Paint, cosmetics, etc.)

Keep us posted on the controller updates.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,

You've got a great car coming together, tough luck about the controller.

I'm tracking another project at http://evalbum.com/1752 and he's had some trouble with Kelly controllers, just to let you know.

Hope you can get the Duster on the road soon!

Bruce said...

Yes, I discovered today that Kelly controllers seem to be highly unreliable. I guess I can eliminate that from my list of options.

Some good news is that another EVer was told by LogiSystems today that his repaired controller would ship out Friday 11/28.

Daniel Busby said...

On the suggestion of a friend I called Logisystems to see if my controller was doomed for failure. Sure enough, it was. I sent it back today. They didn't want to make any promises about returning mine, but they have been shipping some out already. I think that's a good sign.

Bruce said...

Hi Daniel,

Too bad about your controller. At least you didn't have to explode it to find out. I heard yesterday that they were going back into production. Their first priority was to do all of the repairs, then start building new controllers. I guess their testing of the new board worked. Let's hope they really fixed their problems this time.

Anonymous said...

Wondering how your controller issues are going. I've blown #2 of a 1000Amp LogiSystems, and now I'm waiting on a replacement. I'm hoping that it won't take long since this is my commute vehicle.

Mark said...

Well, it's a long time after any of these posts! Wish I'd read them before I bought my Logisystems 1000A controller 'cause I just took my Hyundai Excel for it's third spin around the block and BANG! Same story :( I had the screw caps off for adjustment and got the bonnet open in time to see flames pouring out of them like a blowtorch! All this at only about 270A (144v), shouldn't have even come close to its limits!