Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Engine Bay Preparation


I spent quite a few hours over the weekend removing unnecessary items from the engine bay. I then hit it with degreaser and pressure washed it. I began media blasting the areas that still need to be painted but I ran into trouble. It's been very humid and I kept getting too much moisture in my air lines, so the blast media kept clogging. I had to stop numerous times and clean the lines so the media would flow. I finally had to give up until I get an air line dryer that works better than the one I have been using.

As it turns out, I don't need to be in such a big hurry to paint the engine bay until I decide where the battery and equipment racks will go, and how they will be attached. Welding, and possibly even some sheet metal cutting, will be involved so I'd probably just mess up my paint job anyway. Upon measuring for the racks, I realized that it is going to be a huge challenge finding room for all 14 batteries - well, actually 15 counting the accessory battery. I don't really even know exactly how much room I will have until I get the motor in the car.

Therefore, the next logical step is to work on the necessary parts to adapt the motor to the transmission and get that assembly mounted into the car. I expect this to be one of the most difficult jobs of the entire project so I might as well tackle it now.

No comments: