Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Test Drive

Since the engine is still in the car, I couldn't resist taking a little test drive to see/feel how the weight affected the car. Of course there isn't a gas tank in the car anymore, so I rigged up a gallon jug under the hood. There is also no exhaust system, just open headers. Actually, it didn't seem all that loud so I went ahead and took it for a spin around the neighborhood.

I was quite sensitive to the car sitting lower and could definitely feel the extra weight but it seemed okay to me. I did a couple of test stops to see how the brakes handled it. No problem there although I only went up to about 30 mph. The battery rack didn't fall out so that was a plus.

I did hear a slight noise from the rear end when I coasted. I thought "oh no, the rear end can't handle it". But when I got back home I found that the right rear tire was just barely rubbing toward the front of the car. Those tires were the tallest I could fit under there, so I am not too surprised. It should be an easy fix by bending the wheel well lip in a little.

No comments: