Thursday, October 2, 2008

Measure, Cut, Fit, Grind, Weld, Drill, Repeat

These battery racks are proving to be quite a challenge. Most of the difficulty I'm having is designing them strong enough while keeping them removable. It has also been time consuming to make sure all of the batteries will end up just below the bottom of the hood - without the benefit of having the hood on to measure against. But, I'm determined to do a good job on these no matter how long it takes me. Today I spent way too long fabricating this mount...


...only to later decide that it won't be strong enough for me. It will easily hold the dead weight but I am afraid that it won't stand up well enough to any lateral forces. On the next rack I came up with what I think is a much better design. So I'm going to go back and redo the first one. There is a lot of measuring, cutting, grinding, welding and drilling with these little suckers. Man, I'm glad I don't do this for a living. Here is a picture of the rack support design I'm going with (not welded in yet). I still have a few more to make.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would add some triangulation between the rack, and the support leg. Should be sturdier that way.

Just found your blog through Autobloggreen.

Used to have an old Duster, and have been considering an electric conversion for my 61 Falcon.

Anonymous said...

i found your blog today! your work with the plymouth is excellent! keep it up! i'd love to have an old mustang or a dodge charger running with electricity! i wish you the best with your new vintage eco wheels!

Anonymous said...

Great work on the Duster! I have a 71 Swinger that I've considered converting to electric power. Your blog has got me thinking about it again.

Anonymous said...

I came your information in my email via Car Domain and I was BEYOND impressed. If it's not ready yet, I'd like to see the finished project.

Bruce said...

Thanks for the comments. I think a '61 Falcon and a '71 Swinger would both be cool projects. If I do this again I will convert a '70 Swinger that I have. I don't know much about Ford suspensions, but for a Mopar A-Body, install superstock leaf springs and you'll have no problem with the extra weight of the batteries.