Saturday, October 4, 2008

Slow progress on the battery racks

I'm mildly frustrated that this part of the job is taking me so long to complete. Like the rear battery racks, I didn't have much of a a set plan when I began work on them, just an idea of what I wanted to end up with. The rear racks went together quickly with no problems. However, The under-hood racks are proving to be much more difficult. Problem number one, as I mentioned in another post, is that I need these batteries as close to the underside of the hood as possible. Well, the hood slopes, so each cross bar is at a slightly different level, as illustrated in this picture.


Secondly, except for on the front two bars, each brace needs to attach to the frame in a different manner. Therefore, each one is its own special little custom job. I've almost got it all ready to make permanent except for the brace above the steering box.

There is very little room to drop an angle iron brace to the frame rail. So, the next job will be to get serious and figure out how I want to accomplish this task so I can finally be done with these and move on to the home stretch.

No comments: