Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Underhood Battery Racks (continued)


This part of the job is going much slower than I had expected. Today I very carefully fabricated the rear-most cross bar. I needed this piece to be perfect since all of the other bars will be built with respect to this one. For maximum strength and safety I decided to remove some engine bay sheet metal and attach the supports down to the outside of the frame rail.















Now that this critical piece is installed, the others should be much simpler. All of the rest of the supports and welding will be inside the engine bay and easily accessible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bub!
Your rundown of this Mopar electric conversion is fantastic. I've had a Dodge Monaco 500 habit for the last 7 years - aquiring half a dozen of the things - and have always wondered why people choose to convert ugly non-discript cars. It's clear to me that having an old convertible running electric would be the best thing for stop and go traffic in the city. Who needs a 440 downtown anyways? I'll be following your progress. You're presentation is clear and concise. Thanks for doing this.

Bruce said...

Thanks very much Sean. I know all about the Mopar 'habit' lol. I think a Monaco might be heavier than a Duster but you could make an in-town cruiser for sure!