Saturday, October 11, 2008

What Did I learn Today?

I was using my miter saw to cut metal for the battery racks. After cutting a couple of pieces, I walked over to the bench grinder to smooth out the edges on the cut pieces. When I turned back around, flames were shooting up the wall. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher nearby.


As everything can be a learning opportunity, here is what I learned from this experience.

  • Sparks from cutting metal can actually ignite a fire. I have always wondered.
  • Even though you've never used it, always keep a fire extinguisher handy.
  • When the guy at Home Depot tells you that the saw you are purchasing is not made for cutting metal, there may be a valid reason.
  • If ignoring advice and using a cheap miter saw to cut metal, remove the synthetic sawdust-catching sock on the back of the saw. It is flammable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been there done that, but not as badly. I also melted the plastic guide where the blade goes through.

A chop saw is def. a good investment if you're going to be cutting a lot of metal.